BELL is committed to the conservation of our neighborhoods, the well being of our communities, and the preservation of our environment. With sensibility and feasibility, Bell conscientiously makes decisions that will offer more protection for our environment. That is why Bell is constantly searching for ways to improve the overall construction process from the very beginning when we break ground to the very end when a family moves in. As new technologies emerge which offer reduced environmental impacts, we strive to be at the forefront, helping to test and further those technologies. We take pride in making sure every home is not only a quality Bell house but an efficient Green Bell home. Here is how we work for you:
We implement highly efficient building practices in order to diminish and to do our best to eliminate any byproducts from our job sites; we consistently strive to achieve zero waste and debris by:
- Estimating the right amount of building materials needed for each individual project
- Functioning under cost effective daily operation practices that send any unused building materials back to suppliers to obtain a credit or reuse them on future job sites
- Being proactive in pursuing our goal of zero waste, and by adequately disposing to landfills any remains from our job sites that cannot reused or sent back to suppliers for a credit
- Minimizing and eliminating burning by sending any trees removed to clear lots to local mills to be recycled and by providing the public with free firewood
Play an active role in reforesting our world by making it a priority to plant trees throughout our active communities currently being developed
- On average, 4 trees are planted per lot that is developed
- So far, over 2,000 trees have been planted throughout our active communities
- In the near future, over 1,000 additional trees are expected to be contributed throughout our growing neighborhoods, in an effort to provide future generations with more than an efficient and quality built home, but also with a greener place to live
- ENERGY EFFICIENCY- By reducing air leakage
- NOISE REDUCTION- Dual-pane windows act as significant noise barrier, practically eliminating outside sound
- SECURITY- older single pane windows have flimsy or non-existent locks
- AESTHETICS- Easy to clean with the TILT-IN feature and they simply look better!
- LOW-E WINDOWS- Coating a glass surface with a low-emittance material and facing that coating into the gap between the glass layers which blocks a significant amount radiant heat transfer, thus lowering the total heat flow through the window, and potentially reducing your cooling costs.
We use TECH-WRAP TO:
- Prevents airflow through walls to minimize the flow of air in and out of a house saving you money
- Stops (and drains) liquid water that has penetrated through the exterior finish in order to stop liquid water and act as a drainage plane
- Serves as a dual-purpose WEATHER BARRIER . This permits moist humid air to escape from the inside of the home, while preventing outside liquid water (rain) from entering the home
- Help to reduce moisture problems.
- Our Vapor Barriers slow the rate of vapor diffusion into the thermal envelope of our home’s structure
We Insulate with a highly efficient ENERGY RIGHT insulation system which:
- Includes attic baffles at the soffits to enable ADEQUATE INSULATION at the perimeter of the attic.
- Includes EXTENSIVE AIR FILTRATION measures to improve energy efficiency.
- Includes a letter of CERTIFICATION for each of our homes with an ENERGY RIGHT insulation job.
- Our insulation with energy right means we regularly achieve readings of about 4 ach (air changes per hour) by the blower door test far better than Typical standard insulation ( 10 – 16 ach)
We Install BISHOP CABINETS for their craftsmanship and commitment to the enviroment:
Bishop’s Policy on Protecting the Enviroment:
“Whereas our environment and those natural resources of which it is made and are the foundation for the survival of all species including humankind, Bishop Cabinets shall, in all manners both sensible and feasible, conscientiously make those decisions which will offer better protection for our environment.”
- Particleboard and MDF meet the formaldehyde emission level of the CPA EPPS CPA 2-06 Specification.
- Plywoods meet ANSI/HPVA HP-1 for formaldehyde emissions.
- Products are finished domestically and emit no greater HAPS than allowed locally.
- Hardwoods are purchased through a recognized sustainable forestry program.
We install PEX tubing in our plumbing because:
- Flexible PEX tube is manufactured by extrusion, and shipped and stored on spools. This leads to several advantages, including lower shipping and handling costs due to decreased weight and improved storage options.
- PEX plumbing installations require fewer fittings than rigid piping
- Attaching PEX tube to fittings does not require soldering, and so eliminates the health hazards involved with lead-based solder and acid fluxes; PEX is also safer to install since a torch is not needed to make connections..
- PEX resists the scale build-up common with copper pipe, and does not pit or corrode when exposed to acidic water.
- PEX is much more resistant to freeze-breakage than copper or rigid plastic pipe.
We install Carrier High Efficiency HVAC with Puron Refrigerants that:
According to carrier “Puron refrigerant is environmentally sound and won’t deplet the ozone layer; Puron was introduced a full six years ahead of the completion, paving the way for the future”.
- Aerodynamic top-enhances airflow through the outdoor unit and reduces noise turbulence
- Copper microtube aluminum fin coil– transfers heat outside to maximize indoor cooling while resisting corrosion
- Filter dryer-constantly filters the refrigerant to remove the moisture or contaminants that can damage your system
We install WaterSense® Labeled Delta Bath Faucets:
According to Delta their Green products are designed to be:
- Efficient: Increasing water efficiency to reduce the water consumption in a home.
- Pure: Utilizing exclusive waterways that prevent water from coming in contact with potential water contaminants that can affect water quality and taste.
- Sustainable: Longer lasting and manufactured using environmentally friendly process to preserve and maintain our natural resources.
These products are proof that water-conserving products can be beautiful, functional and green. The new WaterSense labeled lavatory faucets by Delta® operate at 1.5 gpm at 60 psi – which is approximately 30% more water-efficient than a standard 2.2 gpm lavatory at 60 psi.
- According to EPA Watersense Partner “Water-sense labeled products use about 20% less water and perform as well or better than their less efficient counterparts.
ENERGY EFFICIENCY TIPS FOR HOME OWNERS
YOU CAN PLAY A VITAL ROLE IN PROTECTING OUR ENVIRONMENT BY FOLLOWING THESE SIMPLE GUIDELINES!
- Use fluorescent light bulbs.
- Upgrade to dimmer switches to save energy and nearly double the lifespan of your bulbs.
- Unplug or switch off power strips for small appliances and electronics when not in use.
- Always clean the lint filter on the clothes dryer after each use; a clogged filter will reduce dryer performance.
- Install a programmable thermostat to save on heating and cooling bills. You can set the thermostat according to your household’s lifestyle patterns, and avoid wasting energy when no one is home.
- Keep your chimney’s flue closed when not in use.
- Wash only full loads, in cold water whenever possible. If you are washing a small load of clothing, be sure to change the load setting.